Monday, September 29, 2014

B.A. Masri's Letter (Re-typed copy)


A copy of B.A. Masri's Letter (Re-typed)  

7 HURST ROAD, EAST MOLESEY SYRREY KT8 9AQ, ENGLAND

Date  3 October 1991    Tel   081 979 2368

Dear Akhi Syed Rizvi Sahib,
(AssalamoAlaikum vo Rahmatullah vo  Bartahoo

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your kind letter of the 19th. September.  For the last some weeks I have been occupied in writing two articles on “Islam and Ecology” (about 10,000 words) and “Glimpses of Philosophy and Religion on Animal-Human Relationship” (about 3,000 words). Now that I have completed and posted them for publication, I am free again to attend my normal work.

It has given me a great pleasure to know that you have been involved in the Animal Rights Movement in right earnest.  It is very sad that there are very few of our intelligentsia   who are realizing the fact that the issue of animal welfare and ecology need be addressed seriously in our age and that the Islamic guidance in this respect can be very helpful.  Your letter conveying the promise of help in my humble efforts in this field has been like a breath of fresh air.

It is about a year now that I started sending my appeal for help in forming an International Muslim Association for Animals and Nature (I.M.A.A.N.)”, but it seems I am banging my head against a brick wall.  So far no Muslim organization or individual has come forward with any substantial help.  I wonder how long I shall be able to carry on this single –handed, as I have been doing for some years.

Please convey my regards to Mr. Tom Regan, whenever you meet him next.  I meet Rev. Andrew Linzy occasionally in meetings and conferences.  I shall mention you to him when I happen to meet him next. (or, is  Dr. Andrew Linzy some other person in the U.S.A. ?).  I think you will find the following contact also helpful in your work.:

Ms.  Ginnie Bee, 2913 Woodstock Avenue, Solver Spring, MD. 20910
In case you do decide to contact her, you give her my reference.   She has been looking for some Muslim contacts in this field.  She is the founder of “International Network for Religion and Animals.”  She will be very glad to know that you are a vegan.

Perhaps you will find the enclosed pamphlets and information sheets of some interest.  I am not in a position to send you copies of my book: “Animals in Islam and “Islamic Concerns for Animals”, as I have donated them to a charitable Trust named the Athene Trust.

With best wishes and the hope that our mutual cooperation would be beneficial to each other’s work,

Yours faithfully

B.A.Basri

1 comment: